- 2 salt-packed anchovies -- filleted, rinsed, dried, and chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic - (generous)
- 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar - (scant)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- Freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil -- plus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 pound chewy rustic French or Italian bread -- cut into 3/4" cubes
- Juice of 1 lemon - (abt 2 tbspns) -- or to taste
- 2 ounces freshly-grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 eggs -- well beaten
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts -- cored, leaves left
- Whole, chilled
- Combine half of the anchovies and garlic in a bowl. Add all of the
- Vinegar, salt, pepper to taste, and the 1/3 cup olive oil. Let stand for 20 minutes.
Toss the bread cubes with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of salt. Spread on a cookie sheet and toast in a 300 degree oven until golden, about 10 minutes. At serving time, add the remaining anchovies and garlic, the lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of the cheese to the dressing base. Whisk in the eggs to form an emulsion. Thoroughly toss the lettuce leaves with the dressing, being careful not to bruise them. Taste for salt and add, if necessary. Divide the salad among chilled serving plates. Add the croutons, dust with more freshly-ground pepper and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
This recipe yields 4 servings.